Briony Looker tells us all about the new and improved Armidale and New England Show. After 142 years of the show, it’s time to do things a little differently … Briony and her team share what’s in store this year …
Briony, tell us about the show and the new events you have happening this year…
This year we are celebrating our 142nd Armidale and New England Show. This year sees some new and exciting events introduced, as well as all the usual events, sections, activities and attractions.
We are very excited to welcome some very special guests to open our show. We are also very excited to once again have a Showgirl competition returned after a six year lull.
Following below are a few main points:
- This year we feature a Rough Stock Rodeo with a special feature Mule Ride on Friday night.
- The Demo Derby and the fireworks as a main feature of Saturday night.
- Lachie Cossar and his Longreach Outback Stockman Show.
- Crack Up Sisters.
- 6-Bar showjumping.
- Stud cattle and sheep displays.
- Poultry displays.
- All the regular Pavilion sections as well as our new Pavilion section, The Community/Business House Challenge.
The show has had a makeover; what’s different about this year?
This year we have jazzed up a few sections for our 2017 show. We will feature a Rough Stock Rodeo on Friday night; we have placed a stronger focus on incorporating some more community based entertainment into our 2017 show.
We have re-introduced the Showgirl competition, as well as having introduced some new and exciting sections into our pavilions, plus much more exciting and entertaining things to see and do at the 2017 Armidale Show.
One of the new competitions we have introduced is a Community/Business House Challenge to try and get community and business groups interested in putting entries in the show. This is something that has come about to try and increase entries within the pavilion and get more community groups and businesses within Armidale and the local community thinking about how they can contribute to their local Armidale Show.
If I’m wanting to place any entries in the show, is there still time?
Yes James, there most certainly is still time to get your entries in.
Any entries in the pavilion will be accepted on Wednesday, March 8th; the times of this will be placed on our Facebook page and website, with judging in the pavilion taking place on Thursday, March 9th. For any other sections there are various closing dates for entries; all these closing date details can be found in the relevant section schedules on our website: www.armidaleshow.org.au
Entries into our “Show Us Your Window Display” close on March 22nd, so be sure to get your entries in for that, with judging taking place the week of the show.
What’s the most exciting thing happening this year?
- A Rough Stock Rodeo on Friday Night, including a feature Mule Ride, with bucking stock supplied by Gill Bros Rodeo Company.
- Fireworks on Saturday Night by Father Holy Smoke.
- Demo Derby on Saturday Night.
- F002 Zone Paraders Finals in the stud cattle section.
- Presentation of the 2017 Showgirl Entrants and Winners.
- Ute show and relevant section events.
- Lachie Coassar and his Longreach Outback Stockman’s Hall of Fame Show.
- The Crack-up Sisters’ performances.
- An Army display.
- Sideshow Alley, trade displays and stalls.
- Animal nursery, cattle and sheep displays.
- Plus much, much more!
What else can readers expect from this year’s show?
- A bigger and better show then what it has been in the past.
- The introduction of some community group performances
- This year’s show will be a great opportunity to showcase what’s so great in our area. It will allow the residents of Armidale and the wider community to see why local country shows are so important.
- Just an all round entertaining and enjoyable community event for families and people of all ages.
More information can be found by checking out our Facebook page: Armidale & New England Show Society.
Our website: www.armidaleshow.org.au
Or call us: 0413 872 214
WE HOPE TO SEE YOU THERE!